Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Australian Tack Tips and other Horse topics.
When it comes to precision equipment like Australian saddles, it's important that they are a perfect fit for the rider and the horse. A saddle that doesn't fit correctly will affect the movement of the horse, thus decreasing the amount of control a rider has over the animal. A saddle should fit like a Every horse has a unique build and you need to fit a saddle according to its body type. Here are some important tips on fitting a saddle:
• The saddletree must not fall behind the animal's shoulders—it should fit across the withers.
• The entirety of the panel must be touching the horse's back.
• After the girth has been secured, you should have enough space to place two fingers between the gullet and the withers.
• The saddle should hold the rider in the deepest part, not sagging one way or the other. Both sides must be level.
• You should never put a saddle on a weak, unhealthy horse. Saddles are designed to fit well across well-toned, healthy animals.
• Always buy saddles from someone who is qualified and is willing to give you a guarantee.